Monday, September 8, 2014

Weekly Update 9-8-14

Dee is one of the coolest people Sister Rogers has met.

Last District meeting in Iowa City.

Me and the boys...Maisha, Amani and Sila.

She loves Kate & Grace.  They are hilarious.  


The Black's in Iowa City!

Wow.. okay this week has been so amazing I don't even know where to begin!! I will start with transfer doctrine..
And I will be honest this time, I promise! I got a phone call this morning from President Jensen telling me I am being transferred out of Iowa City to a new area, still as a Sister Training Leader. I am not sure where I will be serving yet. There are only 6 Sister Training Leader areas which means I will either be going to Cedar Rapids, Keokuk, Clinton, Des Moines, or Ames. We will see what happens! I will let you know where I am at next week. I am SO SO SO sad to be leaving Iowa City. Honestly, this area has been such a blessing. I am excited for the new changes that lie ahead but man I am going to miss this place so much. So many good things are happening!

Like for instance, just this morning we has this AMAZING lesson with this guy named Luke. He is 34 years old and a single father. While on exchanges, Hermana Eggett and I went to Jimmy Johns for lunch and Luke was our cashier. Hermana Eggett just walked up to him and was like "Hey, well we are missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints and we want to share a message with you. Do you want to meet up sometime?" He said he would love to! and that was it.. we went and ate our lunch got his phone number and said nothing else really. So that brings us to today... We met this morning at the church and had a member with us. We sat in the Relief Society room and began to just get to know him a little bit and his religious background. It was a little awkward at first but thankfully the spirit took over and we soon came to see how the Lord had been preparing Luke to receive the message of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. He was asking questions like, "What is the foundation of your beliefs?" "How is it that we have over 10,000 different christian sects?" "How can I know where truth comes from?" All of these questions tied right into the lesson of the restoration. He shared his experience of how he grew up Lutheran but sort of had a falling away and "lost the faith" in the organization of the church. He then shared that he was looking and searching for truth. And we could tell that he had been thirsting for it. The Lord had placed him in our path so that he could receive the answers he was looking for. He even told us that he had just finished a 7 day fast so he could be cleansed out and spiritually intune. WOW. we were stunned to learn of how much the Lord had been leading him. And Luke is not your "typical Christian"  I guess some people would say... He has tattoos all over, gages, and has some pretty hipster hair. But it is so true that the Lord looks on the heart and the on the appearance. Luke's heart was ready. So we taught him of the restoration and the member that was with us bore powerful testimony. We taught simply and the spirit was there for sure. He committed to read from the Book of Mormon and pray to know that it is true. He kept saying things like, "I am really interested in this.." or "Maybe this is meant to be..." You could see that the hole in is heart or his questions were already beginning to be answered. I am so grateful and humbled to have just had that experience.

Which is another reason why I don't want to leave Iowa City!!! haha Our other investigator Lori, came to a baptism and church this week! She loved them both and is still smoke free and working towards her baptism on October 25th!!! She was telling us that she went to the gas station the other day and one of her friends was outside smoking this apparently really expensive and nice cigar and he asked her if she wanted to smoke a little bit of it.. she said that a thought came to her mind and in her head she said, "Do I want to smoke? or Do I want to be saved?" hahaha she said she decided she wanted to be saved! haha It was so awesome:) So she's doing great.

We are finding lots of new people to teach as well. And the ward is just on fire!!! They are all so missionary minded and do amazing things. the Lord is blessing this part of His vineyard for sure.

I have a testimony that God's timing is everything but that eventually all will come to know the truth. I have such a special privilege to be a part of this marvelous work and a wonder.

Have such a wonderful week!!!!!!!!
LOVE YOU!
Sister Halee Rogers


No comments:

Post a Comment